Friday, October 2, 2015

A Humorous Sidenote

Everyone needs a good chuckle once in awhile and I thought this anecdote was amusing enough to write down.

Alexis and Lydia slept overnight at my house on Tuesday and stayed through Wednesday until the evening. I of course had Awstin during the day as well. We had a great time. Sometimes we played together and sometimes everyone did their own thing, but it was a fun day. I enjoyed it and I think they did too.

I always invite any of the family that it suits to come for supper on Wednesday evening. Megan and Jeremy are regulars and so are Shawn and Awstin. (Melissa likes to grab a couple hours of sleep before she milks on Wednesday night, so it is convenient for Shawn and Awstin to join us.) This time Josh and Julissa were present too. 

Josh brought back a small refrigerator that I had loaned him while he was repairing his large one. He carried it in and I told him to just take it down to the basement and put it beside my freezer. He had to walk down the basement steps past the family room where the kids and I had spent most of the day and through a door that opens into a smaller part of the basement where my freezer is. I didn't think anything about it, but when he came back up into the kitchen he said with some concern, "wow, how long does it take for a child to make that kind of mess?" I'm not sure if he was trying to figure out how many years he had to enjoy before something like that hit his house or if he was just truly wondering. Anyway, it was funny and we just kind of looked at each other in amusement and Shawn said, "trust me it doesn't take long." 

I know when my children were small, the messes they made would bother me, but with the grandchildren it never does. That seems strange, but I think it is because they don't stay forever, and I kind of enjoy picking up a room after everyone has left and it is quiet. I remember what we played as I put each thing away and it is a sweet memory. Honestly, too, the grandchildren do often pick up before they leave. Alexis is a fantastic organizer. However, on Wednesday, we just left things lie and I will pick them up and remember each grandchild as I do and be thankful that I can spend time with them.

Josh meanwhile is still trying to figure out how children can turn a room into such a mess.  I have a feeling he will understand better sometime in the future J

No comments:

Post a Comment