Thursday, February 4, 2016

Chili

A couple of years ago, I began making soup one day a week during the winter months. I have continued doing this and although I didn't get started this year until after Josh & Julissa's wedding I am currently serving soup every Wednesday evening when the family comes for supper. I plan to continue this at least through February and probably part of March as well. Our table on Wednesday evening usually includes around seven of us and I think we all look forward to this time of eating together and catching up with each others lives. It is wonderful to have Josh & Julissa join us regularly now, too, since they are settled into married life and don't have to run from one end of the county to the other to see each other.

Some of my favorites soups to make are chicken corn, vegetable beef, taco, broccoli cheese, and chili. None of us like our food too spicy (except Jeremy) so I usually err on the side of caution and don't put a whole lot of zing in my soups. I have always loved chili, but I am hesitant to buy it at a restaurant because I find it is usually too hot (spicy) for my palate. This recipe that I have for chili has a secret ingredient in that I don't think you will find in most chili recipes. I first tasted it years ago when my friend (and boss at the time) Ginger brought some in to work. She mentioned that she was known for her chili and people often requested her to make it. I loved it! Of course I asked her for the recipe and I have been making it ever since. It is definitely not spicy but of course one can add more chili powder or other spices to please their own taste buds. I also usually add a few more beans and additional liquid to it as well, either tomato juice or v-8 juice--whatever I have on hand. If you follow the recipe exactly it is a pretty condensed soup. 

1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup Kellogg's All-Bran cereal or Bran Buds cereal
1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, undrained
1 can (16 oz) peeled tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

In large saucepan, brown ground beef, onion and green pepper. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover. Cook over low heat about 1 hour or in a crock pot on low for six hours. Stir occasionally. Yield: 6 servings. Delicious on its own or served with tortilla chips and grated cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment