Monday, February 15, 2016

A Valentine Weekend (aka Granddaughter Sleepover Weekend)

Jay and Kristen spent this past weekend at a cabin with three other couples and so their four children spent that time with grandparents. Kristen's parents kept Mark and Hannah and we had Alexis and Lydia. On Friday afternoon, Alexis told me, "I've been looking forward to this weekend for so long. I could hardly wait and I can't believe it's finally here!" A grandparent loves to hear that. I know that there will probably come a day when Grandma's house isn't so exciting and I want to make every effort to enjoy this time and make memories with them that they will look back on fondly when they get older.

We had a wonderful weekend. Since the girls love my American Girl dolls I decided to surprise them and buy one new dress for each of the dolls. I bought one wedding dress and one beautiful purple dress that could either be for a bridesmaid or for any dress up occasion. The girls were absolutely delighted!


We also enjoyed several  tea parties. The girls were ecstatic when I served them real food. We even made the water a little warm in the teapot and we all drank it and declared it was delicious tea.

On Saturday evening, our church had a Valentine's Banquet that we attended. This isn't the best of pictures, but if you look close you can see that Alexis is holding Samantha. Both girls took their dolls along and they got just about as much attention as the girls did!

For some reason the girls wanted their hair braided. I don't think I have ever seen it braided and I'm not sure what put that idea in their head except that I was braiding the dolls hair so maybe they wanted theirs braided too. They usually don't like me to touch their hair and I'm lucky if I get a brush through it. They both sat beautifully and I did the best I could, which wasn't that great, but they liked it so much and wanted to keep it in for the banquet.

They both like crafts--Alexis especially, so we spent a lot of time at the "craft" table. They loved making valentines and designing pictures with fake glitter. That stuff is amazing! It looks like real glitter but leaves no mess. Whoever designed that was a genius.


This was the coldest weekend of the year, so playing outside wasn't really an option. However, the girls got plenty of exercise on our exercise bike. This apparatus that isn't much fun for Steve or I provided loads of entertainment for these two girls!

Steve was outnumbered this weekend with all of us girls but he did his part by buying me the beautiful roses pictured above and he even bought some flowers for the girls (which I neglected to get a picture of). They were so happy! What girl doesn't love when a man brings her flowers?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment