Tuesday, May 12, 2015

5-10-15 --The Wedding!


After seven months of anticipation and planning Megan and Jeremy's big day arrived on Sunday. In a previous blog, I wrote that one of my biggest fears was that I would wake up on her wedding day with a debilitating headache. I don't get them very often, but when I do I have no warning and not much can be done for them.  I am so thankful to report that I had no headache whatsoever and was able to enjoy the day fully. Praise God!
 
The preparations began in earnest on Friday evening. I cannot express in words my gratitude for the two ladies that spear headed the decorations. Becky Gochnauer and Diane Eby are amazing. Becky had experience in decorating for her own daughter's wedding and had helped with the décor at two of her nieces weddings as well. She masterminded the planning and Diane chipped in with her creativity and together they created a masterpiece. They even recruited the men to help.

Phil, Dave & Steve figuring out their next move.
 
 
Dave helps Becky cover the Fair Book display
 
Really cute table covering that Megan saw on Pinterest and Becky put together for her. It  held the cupcakes.

 
On Saturday, they were back at it again. This time Becky brought her sister-in-law, Pat, along to help. These three ladies worked tirelessly.  They decorated the Chapel at Black Rock as well, but I wasn't there to take any pictures. 



The bridesmaids arrived and set the tables.

On Saturday evening we had rehearsal at Black Rock Chapel and then came back to the Hoffman building for dinner. Afterward, the bridal party practiced walking in and sitting at their proper places at the head table.
 
 
The bridesmaids slept over at our house on Saturday night and on Sunday morning Steve made them breakfast. It was bittersweet. These girls have been to my house so often in the last fifteen years and it is sad to know that it will never happen again in this way. I love these girls. Each one holds a special place in my heart and I am so glad for the friendship they gave to Megan over the years.
 
After breakfast, the girls headed out to get their hair done and I went to my hairdresser as well. Kathy has been doing my hair for over twenty-five years and didn't even hesitate when I asked if she would consider styling my hair at 9:00 on Sunday, Mother's Day morning. A true friend!
 
Toward noon Steve and I headed into Quarryville.  He hung out at the Hoffman building where some last minute decorating was going on and I dropped in to see how the girls were doing. The two hairstylists were just finishing up hair and Melissa was helping the girls with their makeup. The bridesmaids soon slipped into their dresses and then we all helped Megan get into hers. I can't really describe how if feels to see your daughter standing there in a wedding dress. She was absolutely  beautiful!  Emotions came to the surface quickly and a few tears were shed, but they were happy ones.
 
I headed back over to meet up with Steve and the girls left for Black Rock. The photographer had already met up with the groomsmen and was taking some pictures of them at another location. Megan hid out in the basement of the Chapel until her groom arrived and then they met in the woods for the "first look." After that it was pictures and more pictures.  All of the family pictures and most of the bridal party were all taken before the wedding.
 
I had decided not to take any pictures and to just enjoy the day camera free but I did end up grabbing my camera for just a few. Afterward, I wished I would have gotten one of all my grandkids together. They were so dressed up and all looked so cute.
 
Alexis loved being the flower girl and did a fantastic job! The dress she wore was the one that Megan wore when she was a flower girl in her cousin Steve's wedding in April 2001. The dress fit perfectly!


Father and Daughter (love this picture!) 

If you look close you can see the bunny ears Josh is holding up.

There is just something special about older brothers :)

 Both sets of grandparents are named Marlin & Elsie - Unbelievable! 
 
The Wedding Party
 
 Check out Jeremy's boutonniere. Megan saw that on Pinterest as well and her florist had a great time putting them together for the groomsmen.



That's all the pictures I have. When we get the pictures from the photographer, I will post some more. I definitely have to post some pictures of myself in my dress that I blogged about struggling to find. I did get many compliments on it, but then what are people supposed to say to you at a wedding?!?!
 
The wedding was very simple and beautiful and totally them. They wanted it to be relaxed and it was. I had one moment when Steve walked her down the aisle that I thought I might lose it, and a few tears crept out of my eyes and down my cheeks. Thankfully, I was able to take a couple of deep breaths and check my emotions and soak everything in and enjoy the ceremony. Megan just beamed and Jeremy smiled. It was special to see the excitement in their eyes. We are so happy to welcome Jeremy into our family. He seems more then willing to accept our craziness and we love having him around. His goofy humor fits right in with all of us.
 
They rode in a limo from the wedding to the reception and decided to make a stop at Turkey Hill and buy slushies. Here is the picture with caption that Jeremy posted on his Facebook wall.

Stopped in at turkey hill in the limo with my wedding party and wife! Thanks everyone


I would say that picture pretty much sums up the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment