Sunday, March 15, 2015

Weekend Getaway

Steve and I enjoyed a brief getaway at Ocean Pines, Maryland this weekend. One of the members on the Board at New Hope has a beach house there and Steve decided to surprise me for my birthday and reserved it for us. It was wonderful to get away for a little bit. Life moves so fast and it seems like we just don't stop and enjoy it enough. I like the way a mini vacation gives time for relaxation, renewal and enjoyment of life and each other.
 
There were a lot of geese around the area where we were staying and I had Steve stop the car so I could snap a picture of the two shown here. They were very tame and curious. They didn't mind the people and they assumed (correctly) that cars would stop for them when they crossed the road.
 
I am not a summertime beach person. I hate it when the beaches are crowded and it is hot and the sand gets in everything. But I love to watch the ocean and the waves so offseason is the perfect time for me to go to the beach. Seeing the ocean and the sky connect is always mesmerizing to me and is a perfect display of God's handiwork and power.





Yes, I am now fifty-five years old. Instead of bemoaning that I am getting older, I am just thankful for the years that God has allowed me to enjoy this beautiful earth. There are definitely benefits to aging. With the children all grown and out of the house, it is almost like being young again--you only have yourself and your spouse to worry about. You have the freedom to come and go as you please and do what you want.You have the enjoyment of grandchildren who come and give you hugs, smiles and laughs, and then leave again and you realize that you are no longer responsible for little people--it is someone else's turn for that. And you know what? Most days that feels pretty good.
 
I just need to remember that I am now old enough to ask for a senior discount....

No comments:

Post a Comment