Wednesday, December 27, 2023

2023 Reflections

Here's a picture of all of us that I said I would post from when we got together on New Year's Day. We all look so happy. Can you believe that in the next 24-48 hours over half of us got the stomach bug?!?! Ugh! 

Us & the Grands - All 12 of them with #13 coming in April :)

As I sit here at the computer to write on this 27th day of December, 2023, Bryce lays on the sofa, sick with fever and cough. Steve threw up overnight and even though he feels somewhat better, still has a bad headache. I have just recovered from a severe bout of vomiting and diarrhea that laid me up for four days the week before Christmas. Because of all the sickness (others in the family were sick too), we decided to postpone our Christmas get-together, which was scheduled for last Saturday (the 23rd) to New Year's Day.  It will be interesting to see how many make it to that.

Anyway, this is not intended to be a down-and-out blog. I was just sharing where we are at in life right now. On the contrary, we have a lot to be thankful for this year.

First and foremost, we are thankful for Steve's recovery from his heart attack. Since I had written about it on this blog when it happened, I won't repeat it again. For the most part, he feels pretty good. I think the biggest concern for him right now, is managing his diabetes. It is difficult to get the right blend of diet and medication but he and his doctors continue to work at it.  He is also still taxiing for the Amish and enjoys that very much.

We are also thankful that we were able to take a trip to Alaska with Lois and Jim. It had been a long time, since we had traveled. We figured out that the last time we were on a plane was 2012! It was a wonderful week of relaxation and restoration. It was so good to take time away from our "normal" lives. We both came back feeling refreshed and renewed. Although I will never recommend that anyone take a red-eye flight!

We also welcomed two grandsons into the family! Kyle was born in July and Seth in September. It is such a joy to watch these little ones grow. We have never had grandchildren this close in age, and I am betting that these two cousins will share many happy times together. 

We are so thankful that we found Victory Church in August of 2021. We love the sermons, fellowship, and many friends that we have made there. We also teach children's Sunday School once a month. This has been a bit challenging but it is good for us. We meet regularly with our small group and these people have become such good friends to us. The one couple has access to a cabin that their daughter and son-in-law own and our small group was able to share two weekends this year at this wonderful mountain retreat. I'm not sure how people do life without church, friends and family and I'm so thankful to have the support of all three.

My year was busy with managing the store. At times I definitely grew weary of it and wondered why a woman my age was working so hard! Steve and I have always said that we were not going to let the store wear us out and I said that I didn't want to manage it after the age of 65. This year a neighbor started approaching us about buying the store/property. At first, we didn't think he was really serious, but then this fall he gave us a number to consider and said he would like to start the process of buying us out in 2024! It was appealing so we told our children about it and said we were thinking about taking him up on his offer. 

Well, to make a long story short, Shawn and Josh said that if we were going to sell, they had interest in it. We are still working out details, but as of January 1st I will no longer be the manager of the store! Instead I will just be an employee. I am amazed at how quickly this has come about and I couldn't be more excited. I am beyond ready to not have to shoulder so much responsibility and I look forward to having some hours in my day that I don't  have to think about the store. I will still be working a good many hours and also doing some managerial jobs, but at least any final decisions are no longer with me!

As we turn the corner and enter 2024, I am excited to see what God has in store for us. Twelve months is a long time and it is good to look back over a year and reflect on the joys, difficulties and challenges that were faced. However, one thing never changes and that is God's faithfulness. I am thankful for that promise.

Finally, here are my wishes for the coming year.  Good health for Steve and me...less stress...lots of time with grandchildren...relaxing times with God, family and friends...and last but not least....a new car!


I will edit this blog and post our annual Christmas picture if we manage to all get together on New Year's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment