Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Long Winter

How many of you read that title and immediately thought of the Little House book with the same title? As a child I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and I still do. I read them out loud to my children when they were small and even today, I sometimes pick up one of them and reread it.

This Winter was not like the Winter that Laura and her family lived through in her book. We basically had no snow and the temperatures were almost always above normal. However, it still felt long and I had a hard time motivating myself to do anything, including writing on this blog. I usually enjoy the stretch between January and March when life slows down and long evenings at home can be enjoyed without the thought of outside work that is calling me. This year was different. I know it was partly because of external things that happened beyond our control and the uncertainty that surrounded us, but from past experience, I also know that it is normal to go through patches of Winter in this journey of life. The good news is that Spring always follows Winter, and we are getting closer each day!

It didn't feel like I had much to write about, so I guess that is why this blog was silent for so long. We certainly also had times of fun and relaxation during this long Winter. Wednesday evening suppers are always a highlight when the children (and grandson) that live close by join us for supper. It is often well into the evening before the talk and laughter around the table subsides and they depart again for their own homes. In February we had a delightful weekend with Alexis and Lydia when they stayed with us while Jay and Kristen enjoyed a weekend away at a cabin (Mark and Hannah stayed with Kristen's parents).

Here are some pictures that I snapped over the past couple of weeks.

Praying before their meal.

Something about Kit is funny

Setting up the store

Footwear for sale

Open for business

Lydia and Kit and Samantha enjoying a snack on the swing

Notice the pan in Lydia's hand so she can carry her treasures

Samantha all ready for the Valentine's Banquet
Mom spent a Saturday with us. She really enjoyed the puzzle.

Julissa and Megan and Grandma puzzling together

Last piece!
One warm Wednesday Awstin and I hung up the hammock. He missed swinging in it over the Winter.
That last picture of Awstin in the hammock reminds me that the long Winter is almost over....Hallelujah....Springs a coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment