Thursday, June 30, 2016

How's It Going?

Since opening Martic Store a little over two months ago, many have asked us, "how's it going?" I'm really not quite sure how to answer this question. Usually, I just go with the expected answer, "It's going well." But there is so much more to it. Here are some of my thoughts about this venture that we have embarked on.

First, I can't say enough good things about the employees that we are fortunate to have. Every one of them is so conscientious and hardworking. We could not have asked for a better crew to have working for us.

The community has embraced us also. I cannot think of one negative comment (except disappointment from a few that we don't carry tobacco) that we received. Time and again, customers expressed appreciation to us that the store is operating again and for the excellent job that we are doing.

We have had a few challenges as well. We quickly learned that ice is a high demand item. After running out a time or two, we finally got our outside ice freezer operating and stocked it full of ice. Hopefully that will last for a long time. We have also had some problems keeping bread on hand. We had a wonderful delivery man/supplier who unfortunately had an accident that will put him out for several months. He has not been able to find a replacement and the result has been that our bread shelves are bare. This has been disappointing but it isn't our fault and there is not a lot we can do about it.

Probably the biggest challenge that we face is changing the mindset of the community to view our store as a place to shop for discount groceries and not just for quick convenience items. I totally understand that concept because that is how I always used the store as well, when it was in operation before. I only stopped when I needed one or two items and it could save me a trip to the grocery store at the Buck. We are hoping for the store to bring in enough revenue that we will be able to use the profits to help fund the food pantry. I still think that this will happen and we just need to be patient and continue to get the word out about our discount groceries.

I could name some other minor inconveniences, like cranky freezer doors that don't want to open, and steep steps to climb up and down multiple times a day, but overall I would say that our opening months have been a success.  Considering that we are completely new to the retail business, I think we have done an okay job.

How will things continue with the store in the future? I have no idea. But I trust in God's master plan and it will be interesting to look back on this venture in a few years and see the way God has led us. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the ride and try not to stress.J

No comments:

Post a Comment