Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cable Interruption

Like many around me, I have become accustomed to the "luxuries" that are available to us through technology. We have cable in our home which gives us instant Internet access whenever we want it and a multitude of programs and channels to choose from on TV when we so desire. I also have a Smartphone so (as long as I have it with me) I immediately get text messages and emails and I have the ability to Google and browse any website with a few touches on my screen.

As I wrote on my previous blog, last Wednesday our area was hit with an ice storm that knocked the power out of many homes, ours included. We lost electricity and cable simultaneously. As we went through the next several days, I was very thankful for a small generator that allowed us to take hot showers, use the stove/microwave, and have lights on in the house. I was also very glad for my Smartphone which kept me connected to the Internet world and enabled me to keep up with emails and Facebook (so important, right?).

We have a data-plan for my Smartphone but not an unlimited one, so I tried to use it as sparingly as I could. I was happy to head to work each day, where the electricity and Internet had been unaffected by the ice storm. By Friday afternoon the electricity at our house was restored and we began to eagerly anticipate our cable restoration as well. We called the cable company and got the standard recording that "many in your area have been affected by the recent storm and are without cable and crews are working hard to restore it." They also gave an anticipated time when connection would happen again. On Friday, they said it would be back by 11:00 pm Friday night. Saturday morning, the recording said that it should be restored by 11:00 pm Saturday night. On Sunday morning, when we still didn't have cable but the recording assured that us we would have it by that evening, we were skeptical. However, on Sunday afternoon, I received a voicemail from our provider telling me that cable had been restored to our area. We were elated and I immediately texted Megan with the good news. She got home first and soon discovered that indeed we did NOT have cable. Exasperated, we called the cable company to inform them that our cable was still not working and were told that they would have to send a technician out to see what the problem was. The earliest time they had available was Tuesday morning. To make matters worse, after talking with our neighbors, we realized that we were the ONLY ones without it. Whatever the problem was, it was directly in our line somewhere.

As all this was taking place, I realized just how much I depend on cable and how my days revolve around it. My online Scrabble games were interrupted because I couldn't get the Internet on my desktop to play them. My plan for watching the Olympics was thwarted because the TV just sat there with a blue screen that said "your program will resume shortly." And of course my beloved Tennis Channel was unavailable.  Watching the Olympics or tennis on my Smartphone was really not an option since I am over 50 and don't like watching programs on small screens. Plus, as I said before, we don't have an unlimited data plan so to continually use my Smartphone seemed unwise. However, on Saturday, I began to think that it might be worth going over our allotted data plan if it meant we could have the Internet on our desktops. I realized that I could turn my Smartphone into a hotspot and connect our desktops to the World Wide Web through it. What was a little extra money if it allowed us use of our desktops? We really needed them, right? But after I did it I suddenly felt guilty about doing this. Why was I so impatient? Why couldn't I just wait? Did I really need to be on my computer? I turned the hotspot off and just decided I could live without cable until it was restored.

So what did I do with my "extra" time that I had because I couldn't be on the computer or watching TV? Well, I did a little more reading than I normally do. I cleaned some areas of the house that don't often see a dust cloth or sweeper. I made some food and organized some cupboards. I watched a couple of videos including "The Hiding Place" (a tremendous story of forgiveness and dependence on God's strength and love to get through horrific and terrifying circumstances) and "Homeward Bound II" (a great comedy, stress reliever). However, always in the back of my mind was the thought that something wasn't quite right. It was an unsettling feeling and although I tried to ignore it, it never quite went away.

Finally, this morning a technician came out and located the problem and our cable was restored. With a sigh of relief we got back to our "normal" life. Steve especially was happy to catch up with emails and the news (he doesn't have a Smartphone).

Suddenly, everything seems right again. We have become so used to this way of life that we are uncomfortable and grouchy when it is not available to us. Yes, we probably could have handled our weeklong disconnection more cheerfully but it is difficult when a part of your everyday existence is taken from you. In some ways, it is like a mini-death and your mind is consumed with it and you can hardly think of anything else. I want to believe that I could live without the Internet, computers and Smartphones but since I do have them, is it wrong for me to feel like my world is only upright when they are working properly?

No comments:

Post a Comment