Wednesday, April 3, 2013

This Thing Called Prayer

I have always believed that prayer is more powerful than we can possibly imagine and I feel that most of us haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg in realizing what we could accomplish if we really used prayer the way God intended us to.  When I was a teenager, I was at a meeting where a minister invited us to come up front and pray specifically for healing for a person that God laid on our heart.  At the time, I was close to someone who was really struggling with some addiction problems that were not healthy. I asked God to heal this person and release him from the addiction. Within a year, my friend removed himself from some unhealthy relationships and recommitted his life to Christ. I felt like God had directly answered my prayer and I have always associated this instance as the root of my deep belief that praying is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves, our family and our friends. Above all, I believe it is what God wants us to do and we honor Him by doing it.

Why does having someone pray for you calm your anxiety and make you feel loved? I think it is because it shows that they care about you, about your life, and about a situation you may be facing. I remember being awakened in the middle of the night by Steve talking out loud. After listening for a little I realized he was praying. He was praying for a lot of things and he also prayed for me. I was filled with a tremendous warm feeling of love!

I am aware that the phrase "I am praying for you," is used quite casually and probably often the person who says it really isn't praying for you. I myself have been guilty of doing this. However, there have been times in my life, when someone has told me that they are praying for me and I have known that they really were. I have had people approach me at church and ask about things that they know are going on in my life.  They will then tell me that they have been praying for me.  I know that they mean it. My dad told me all the time that he was praying for Steve and me and our children.  I knew that he was. In fact, when he died, I actually thought how I would miss not having him praying for me.  It goes back to that feeling of comfort and knowing that someone really cares about you. In the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus prayed to His Father, I believe He was praying not so much for relief from the horrible death that was before Him, but because of the comfort it gave Him to talk with Someone who He knew loved and cared for Him with a love that He could not receive from another human.

I usually pray quietly in my mind, however, I will occasionally pray out loud when I am by myself. Often I will pray through a song. I pray when I am happy and I pray when I am sad.  I pray throughout the day but I especially like to pray when I am in the car. Often, I will have a running dialogue with God while I am driving (safer then on the cell phone, right?). I pray because I want to and because God wants me to. I pray because I love God and I am thankful for the life He has given me. I pray because I believe God hears me and cares about me. I know that He listens and answers my prayers.  Sometimes, I am not even aware of how He answers them but I honestly think that the answers He gives may not be as important as the time we spend in God's presence communicating with Him.

One of my main reasons for writing this Blog is for my children. I want my children to know that I pray for them.  When they were babies, I would softly tiptoe into their room where they peacefully slept with their knees tucked under them and their innocent little faces so sweet and I would pray.  I thanked God for them and I prayed that they would grow into a fine young man or woman who would love the Lord. I prayed for their life and for their future spouse if and when they married. I prayed that I would be a good mother to this child that God had gifted to me. Even though they are now grown, I still pray for them every day.  I thank God for the person they have become and I pray for their future. I pray that God would guide them in their lives and that they will continue to put Christ first in their life.  If I know specifically of something they are dealing with I pray for that situation. Now that I have grandchildren, I pray for them.  I pray that these precious children will grow up into fine young men or women who love the Lord.  If I am still alive when I have great-grandchildren I will pray the same for them.

I Thessalonians 5:17 encourages us to pray continually. As a parent, we love to give gifts to our children.  Perhaps one of the greatest gifts we can give to them is the assurance that we are praying for them every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment